Betta Fish Center

Betta/Human Bonding?

If you can't find a category for your question or comment, please post it here.

Moderator: BettaDiver

Betta/Human Bonding?

Postby Pumpkin85 » Tue May 21, 2013 4:35 am

I have a blue/yellow marble crowntail named Picasso and I've noticed something interesting he's been doing lately. Whenever he sees me he tries to swim through his tank glass and once I notice him and pay him enough attention he turns sideways and flares his tail. Is he by any chance bonding with me? He's 4 months old btw.
Pumpkin85

Re: Betta/Human Bonding?

Postby KingBetta » Thu May 23, 2013 12:27 pm

Betta are smart and know who feeds them like goldfish they get pretty attached to there people I have several Betta that come when I look at them or tink on there bowl they come a calling I have a couple so used to water changes I don't even need the net any more hand in the water tells them its water change time and I just scoop them out so yeah if he is following you then yep he is letting you know your his person
KingBetta

Postby Sivan » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:55 am

Betta fish are more intelligent than many common small fish species kept as pets. They have the ability to recognise objects, people, make associations with patterns, and remember tricks. That being said, the Betta fish brain unfortunately does not have the same capabilities for emotion as a mammal's brain. Although the fish can experience "emotions" such as fear, anger, and happiness, these feelings are not equivalent those experienced by dogs or humans. Emotion, in Betta fish terms, is more basic and there is not a lot of room for depth or emotional association necessarily.

While it is more than likely that your fish recognises you and associates your presence with food, it is not likely that the connection goes beyond that. It should be noted, however, that not all acts of attention giving from a Betta fish is because it thinks it is getting fed; Betta fish are curious creatures and can get used to an interactive (outside of their tank) environment. Remember that these are solitary creatures that do best in the wild when living independently. Although your fish may have an excited-like response when it sees it, it most certainly is not likely that it is due to an emotional connection as deep as emotional bonding.
Sivan

Postby admin » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:26 am

You did a great job putting this discussion into very real terms, Sivan:) I appreciate that! It is good to get an understanding of how a Betta really views life. However, even if a Betta is simply curious or recognizes you because you are the one who feeds it, I think we can all agree that there is a bond that develops between a Betta and their humans:)

Adam
admin
Site Admin

Postby Sivan » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:48 pm

I agree; I definitely have a bond with my fish. I also know there are theories held by some breeders/IBC members connecting tail biting to environmental stress, which is sometimes placed not only to decoration arrangement but to human interaction as well. For example, some of these theorists have observed behaviors change in their fish after their fish tank had been moved from a busy environment (such as a kitchen) to a calm environment (such as a guest room) and their fish became stressed from the change. They theorized it had to do with a decrease in human activity around the tank and the fish "missed" human company, so it began tail biting. Interesting theory and interesting outlook on human-fish relationships.

At the end of the day even if I'm the only one on the giving end of the bonding relationship, I am more than happy to have my beloved little guy receiving it! I certainly have bonded with him and I like to think he has bonded with me too.
Sivan

Postby jennerizer » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:54 pm

All my bettas i have owned have had a bond with me. My one betta does little pecks to the glass for kisses also when being called by his name he looks up above and does bubbles. I call him mommy's little baby.
jennerizer

Postby admin » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:14 pm

Sivan wrote:I agree; I definitely have a bond with my fish. I also know there are theories held by some breeders/IBC members connecting tail biting to environmental stress, which is sometimes placed not only to decoration arrangement but to human interaction as well. For example, some of these theorists have observed behaviors change in their fish after their fish tank had been moved from a busy environment (such as a kitchen) to a calm environment (such as a guest room) and their fish became stressed from the change. They theorized it had to do with a decrease in human activity around the tank and the fish "missed" human company, so it began tail biting. Interesting theory and interesting outlook on human-fish relationships.

What great insight! Thanks so much for that:)

Adam
admin
Site Admin

Postby NeoNebula » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:19 am

I think they can make connections. I also change items in his tank for variety and he always studies the new visitor. Bath time is special bonding for us!
NeoNebula

Return to All Things Betta