Betta Fish Center

Wal-mart Betta's

If you can't find a category for your question or comment, please post it here.

Moderator: BettaDiver

Wal-mart Betta's

Postby Gwennith » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:18 am

I can not speak for any Wall-Mart stores other than the ones in my home town. At the stored in my town, the aquariums are abysmal, and the conditions under which they maintain their Betta's are even worse. This isn't a rare occurrence but a consistent issue in my local stores. For their older stock, the water becomes so murky you can't always even tell if the animal is alive. I often find myself buying the ones which are in the worst conditions, working them into cleaner water and setting them up in small tanks and gifting them to interested friends. (Tho I often feel I'm just enabling the situation where the company will continue to stock live fish)
I have submitted both verbal and written complaints to the depart managers, the store managers for all three of the stores here, and with Wall-Mart's corporate office. I have contacted my local humane society and lodged a complaint. I know my one opinion will not change things, but I would like to encourage people to voice their opinions to which perpetuate this this treatment of living animals. And also to any groups or organizations who you feel might also find this unacceptable.
Thank You
Gwen
Gwennith

Re: Wal-mart Betta's

Postby Carol » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:21 am

It depends on where you live, and mostly the integrity of the employees. The Walmart near me took better care of their Bettas than they did at Petco! I saw a few dead ones at Petco. :cry:
Carol

Postby admin » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:40 pm

Hi!

Unfortunately, many of us betta lovers have seen these beautiful fish treated in this way:( I recently was at Petco and saw that the bettas had a ton of uneaten food floating at the bottom of their little "bowls" - totally preventable.

The best thing you can do is what you already have done. Speak out to the store managers, etc. If enough of us keep complaining about the conditions these fish are kept in, eventually, they will listen.

Adam
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:42 pm

Hi!

Unfortunately, many of us betta lovers have seen these beautiful fish treated in this way:( I recently was at Petco and saw that the bettas had a ton of uneaten food floating at the bottom of their little "bowls" - totally preventable.

The best thing you can do is what you already have done. Speak out to the store managers, etc. If enough of us keep complaining about the conditions these fish are kept in, eventually, they will listen.

Adam
admin
Site Admin

Return to All Things Betta