Betta Fish Center

Concerns about a new male

Discussions related to your betta's symptoms, recommended treatments and courses of action to help your betta regain health. Topics also cover betta disease prevention.

Moderator: BettaDiver

Concerns about a new male

Postby NeedleStitch » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:15 pm

Hey guys, so I just bought a new male from Petsmart yesterday and after I got him out of his cup I noticed that his spine was bent funny. I'm surprised I didn't notice something wrong before I got him home because he just floats at the top of his tank, whereas he swam fine in the cup (or at least as well as he could in such a small space). He acts like a happy betta for the most part, other than he floats at the top with the convex side of his crook up at the surface and it looks like he is panting, though not gasping like he is having trouble breathing, more like just opening his mouth up faster than I have seen my other bettas do. He is blowing bubbles, his fins are beautifully displayed, I can't get him to flare though. I haven't seen any poops in his tank yet (I keep him in an empty tank to monitor him to make sure he doesn't need any special care), he hasn't eaten any of the pellets I tried giving him. I'm not really sure what to do. I've never had a betta act like this before.
NeedleStitch

Return to Betta Diseases, Illnesses, Prevention and Treatment