Betta Fish Center

At my wits end.

Discussions related to your betta's symptoms, recommended treatments and courses of action to help your betta regain health. Topics also cover betta disease prevention.

Moderator: BettaDiver

At my wits end.

Postby Gwennith » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:13 pm

I have a half moon betta which I've had for about a year now. when I first purchased him he was a very pale blue with a few dark indigo spots that over the next few month spread until all of his body and much of his fins were dark blue, but he retained the white/blue face. About 6 weeks ago I noticed pink streaks in the parts of his tail which were still light in color. After doing some research I thought he might have some type of baterial infection and treated him with maracyn Plus, after the first round of treatments he did not show any improvement in his coloring so I ran a second round of treatment. By the end of the second round of treatment he had developed a small ore on the top of his head. I went back to my local aquarium store and purchased Prima fix and treated him for 7 days. By the end of the 7 day treatment almost all of the dark coloring faded off his body, from his face back toward his tail, and much of the dark coloring faded off his tail too. For a few days during the first round of Maracyn he would lay on the heater in his tank, even tho the water temp was at a 82 in the daytime and 80 at night. Through all this, his appetite has been good, he still flairs his fins when he sees the other betta in the other tank, or when I sit down to my desk. He doesnt' lay on the bottom of the tank, he's quite active, he acts like he is fine. But I have noticed the last couple of days, whether this is because he has become so pale or if this is a new symptom, that where his fins and tail attach to his body now also exhibit this red coloring and there is a long red streak that runs the length of his body from his head to his tail (internally, not on his scales). I have checked the water, his nitrate and ammonia levels are all almost non existant, I do water changes twice a week. But the red in his tail has become brighter and begins to look like actual blood in the tissue. Any suggestions on what I can do for my little guy would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
photo(3).JPG
This picture shows the red coloration in his fins, this light body color and the sore on his head.
Gwennith

Re: At my wits end.

Postby admin » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:36 pm

Hi!

This sounds like it could be Septicimia. With this disease you may notice, bright red streaks on fins, patchy red discoloration around the body, pop-eye, protrusion of scales, distended abdomen, rapid breathing or loss of color. I can't really tell from the pic if your Betta's abdomen is distended.

This disease should be treated with a broad spectrum antibiotics. It is caused by poor water quality, transmitted by other fish, or stress. Do frequent water changes.

However, it can be hard to treat this illness. It is actually really lethal so the fact that your Betta is still alive could indicate that it is not Septicimia. Bettas can lose their color for other reasons too like an improper diet, stress, age, or improper exposure to the sun. It is also possible for Bettas to have natural red streaks in their fins.

Keep your eye on him and see how well he does and if his color comes back.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Gwennith » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:12 am

He doesn't appear to have popeye or any bloating of his chest or abdomin. I have his tank and another 2.5 gal tank with another betta sitting on my computer desk, they are near a east wndow but not in the path of the direct sun. So they both get a lot of bright light but not direct sun light. Tomorrow should be his last dose of Maracyn Plus, and I have purchased API Bettafix to try next if he shows no improvement. This morning I see that where the red streaks are in his fins, a few of them now have what look like small bright red blood clots at the ends and it now appears that the fins are slightly ragged at the ends. I have the following products to treat him with, Mardel Maracyn Plus, Bettafix, Melafix, aquarium salt. I checked his water this morning using quick dip ammonia test strips and the six in one that tests for nitrates, nitrites, ph, chlorine, hardness and alkalinity, all of paramaters were low tih the exceptioin of hardness, alchalinity and the ph was somewhere around 7.8. Are there any other medications you would suggest? And is it ok to use more than one medication at a time? I have been afraid to use more than one product in his water at a time.
Thank you
Gwennith
Gwennith

Postby admin » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:55 am

Hi Gwennith!

This is sounding more like fin rot. Check out this article and see if we are getting on the right track: http://www.bettafishcenter.com/Fin-Rot.shtml
admin
Site Admin

Postby Gwennith » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:40 pm

That would explain the changes I have seen in his fins, but I still don't understand the rapid color loss or the sore on his head. Is there something other than maracyn, and melafix that I can try for the fin rot? I'm afraid of over medicating him. But can the Betta fix or melafix be used with the maracyn?
Gwennith

Postby admin » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:41 am

Hi!

Both fin rot and Septicimia are both caused by bacteria. So, they can be treated in basically the same way. I am not sure how you keep your Betta but, setting up a tank with a filter and heater is extremely helpful. Read our articles about how to set up a Betta tank: http://www.bettafishcenter.com/aquarium-setup-list.shtml

Preform proper water changes and clean the items in your Betta's tank to get rid of the bad bacteria. You do not need to use soap.

Maracyn, Melafix and BettaFix will all treat bacteria so, I would not recommend using BettaFix or Melafix in combination with Maracyn. Bettas do need some healthy bacteria in the water so you don't want to over medicate.

I hope this info helps!!! Please let me know how your Betta is doing in a few days!
admin
Site Admin

Postby Gwennith » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:06 pm

Well its been a few days and he is about the same. It would seem for him that medications aren't going to be the answer. I am going to try the salt treatment I have been reading about on several of the betta sites. but I do have a question. Some of the sights say to use a higher dosage the first day and the a lower one for the following days. And other sites say to keep the treatment at the same dosage. I was going to try the moderate level of salt, 2tsp/gal with a bit of stress coat. Do need to keep the salt levels the same each day when I do the water change or do I need to reduce it to 1tsp/gal after the first 24 hours?
Thanks
Gwen
Gwennith

Postby admin » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:41 pm

I have never reduced the amount of salt like that. I usually do 1 tsp. of salt per 5 gallons of water.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Gwennith » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:28 am

Well, this is the fourth day of the salt treatment. I don't want to be overly optimistic, but I do believe it is starting to work, his fins look like they are almost completely cleared of all the pink coloration, and the deterioration seems to have stopped, and the pearl/blue color seems to be reasserting itself in his fin color. At this point I feel really encouraged.
Gwennith

Postby admin » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:57 am

That is great! I am happy to hear that your little guy has started to turn a corner! Keep us posted on his progress!

Adam
admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Betta Diseases, Illnesses, Prevention and Treatment