Betta Fish Center

Betta Chasing his own Tail

Topics that discuss how and when your bettas eat and what types of food they like or dislike. Any discussions related to betta feeding can be posted here.

Moderator: BettaDiver

Betta Chasing his own Tail

Postby misterpeterman » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:51 pm

We recently got a new betta, and a few days ago I noticed him chasing his tail. This is something none of our other bettas has ever done. He will swim in tight circles, and go faster until he gets frustrated and gives up. I don't know if he's catching a glimpse of his tail out of the corner of his eye, or what.

He's not usually an aggressive little guy, so this is a strange behavior. My wife and I were just wondering if anyone else has seen bettas do this, or if this is one of our little guy's idiosyncrasies.
misterpeterman

Re: Betta Chasing his own Tail

Postby admin » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:29 pm

Hi!

Do you notice if he is biting his tail?

Bettas will chase or bite their tail for a couple of different reasons.

There are a couple of things you can do. Make sure he has plenty of places to hide or find shelter. You can even try rearranging his tank each time you do a water change.

Make sure his tank meets parameters in regards to ph level, temp. etc. Look for things that may be stressing him out like lights that are too bright which may be causing reflections.

If he is biting his tail, make sure to treat the water with some aquarium salt.

One of our betta fish friends posted a great thread about tail biting which may help: betta-diseases-illnesses-prevention-and-treatment-f31/tail-biting-guide-troublesome-self-infliction-t6453.html

Let me know if you make any headway with this situation!

Adam
admin
Site Admin

Return to Betta Feeding and Behavior