Betta Fish Center

Fishy

What is your betta's name? Is it a male or female? How many do you have? This forum is for members who want to share more about their bettas.

Moderator: BettaDiver

Fishy

Postby blmack87 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:29 am

My husband and 2 year old daughter went out one day and purchased a Betta fish after my daughters goldfish died. The betta fish they chose is a male his body is dark blue and his fins are almost purple in color. He is very pretty however he has some unusual behaviors like he flairs up whenever my husband or my male dog come into my daughters room and he even chargers to the front glass of his tank when either of them enter my daughters room. My understanding is that he may be territorial but as far as I know my male dog and my husband are not betta fish and neither one of them is going to get in his tank with him. So I guess I'm a little confused as to what is going on with this fish? When I am in my daughters room he comes to the front of his tank and just stares at me like a dog. And I just fed him so I am pretty sure he is not hungry.

Can anyone help me to understand my fish and his strange behaviors? Does he need or want something when he is staring at me like a dog? Does he just not like my husband and my male dog? I'm so confused I'm a first time fish mommy!!

Thanks,
Brandy
blmack87

Re: Fishy

Postby admin » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:25 am

Hi Brandy,

The flaring occurs when the betta perceives a threat to his territory. It could be that he is recognizing you as the source of food, but also be sure the tank is large enough for your betta with sufficient "hiding" places.
admin
Site Admin

Postby blmack87 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:54 am

I do not feed fishy my husband and daughter feed fishy. I do not clean his tank either my husband does that. So that is why I am wondering why fishy acts like that toward my husband. Fishy is actually living in a My fun fish tank thing with a rather large live plant that he naps in. We also have a small filter that helps to keep the water pretty clean.
blmack87

Postby bettasandme » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:56 am

What size is your betta tank? Do you have a light? I also noticed that when i bought a filtered tank my betta always flared at me when i turned on the light. :)
bettasandme

Return to Introduce Your Betta!