Betta Fish Center

pump help

All of the necessary components of a betta fish tank

Moderator: BettaDiver

pump help

Postby bobbybetta » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:08 pm

Hi,

I just bought a pump but the water in my tank is moving too fast and I don't think my betta likes it. What pumps do you use?

Betta Bobby
bobbybetta

Re: pump help

Postby WendyGail » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:43 am

Personally, we don't use a pump in our Betta's bowl. I have always heard that Bettas like a calm water surface.
WendyGail

Postby WendyGail » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:46 am

Oh, I just read an article on this site that might help you. It talks about the equipment you need for a betta. it does not talk about a pump so maybe a pump is not needed. Here check out the article: http://www.bettafishcenter.com/betta-aquarium-supplies.shtml
WendyGail

Postby Cyndih70 » Tue May 28, 2013 9:48 pm

Ok...here's what I did. I have a 3 gallon with a Whisper filter. The small one for 2-5 gallon tanks. I have a fitted sponge that fits onto the intake pipe, which baffles it quite well. And then I still had a few problems with the movement at the top of the water. First thing I did was take a small piece of natural, unbleached sponge and stuck into the area where the water flows out. That helped ALOT! But then, to reduce it even a little more, I tie a loose knot in the filter hose, where it connects to the little motor. You can adjust the tightness of your knot to allow more or less water flow. Seems a like a lot of work to slow the water down, but you get the best of both worlds. Filtered water and ease of flow for the fishy. Hope that helps!
Cyndih70

Postby schwannsee24 » Wed May 29, 2013 12:33 pm

I baffled my output spout. A baffle is a device to spread out and disrupt the output stream to make it gentler. I tied an aquarium sponge to the bottom of the spout, and that works really well.
schwannsee24

Postby lights106 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:28 pm

Azoo palm filter. I HIGHLY suggest it. Super cheap but the best $9 purchase ever. Very sturdy and quiet.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... catid=9821
lights106

Postby lights106 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:32 pm

And here i s a good how to video with it as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKkChviIQds
lights106

Postby admin » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:22 am

You could also use an Undergravel Filter. This kind of filter sits at the bottom of your tank which eliminates the need to shoot the water back out into the tank and causing a strong current.

Adam
admin
Site Admin

Postby wwstringcomplexx » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:05 pm

I had one pump with lines in two large betta homes. The male betta liked it, it was the smallest air pump from walmart and he loved playing in the bubbles. Our female did NOT like them. She hid at the bottom (we had the tiny bubble stone floating at the top) and got very stressed out. I refrain from using them now, partly because I have way too many betta to use them, but also it's just not necessary. If you do use them, make sure you get a tiny pump, tiny line and the smallest air stone you can find. As I mentioned, I liked floating ours at the top so they had a place to hide from it if they wanted a break. :)
wwstringcomplexx

Postby MrsJP » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:32 pm

I have little control valves on my air lines and also some T-spliters then I run 2or 3 stones or sponge filters off one pump, that slows down the airflow.
MrsJP

Next

Return to Lighting, Pumps, Filtration and more