Betta Fish Center

Mollies and Male Betta

What fish live peaceably with your betta? Which ones should you avoid? This forum is for topics related to the fish that can inhabit the tank with your betta and those that will cause a problem.

Moderator: BettaDiver

Mollies and Male Betta

Postby bvellalos » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:47 pm

I just got 4 mollies (2 black, 2 white) for my 10 gallon tank to join my butterfly male betta. The betta is not agressive, but due to the fact that the mollies move very fast, he sometimes runs from them to get out of the way. (usually around feeding time) I have plants, but he doesnt hide in them. When the mollies are calm, betta is calm too. I have a few questions.

What do I look for to find if the environment is too stressful for my betta?
During feeding time, my betta gets a few bites in... before its all eaten by the mollies... how can i make sure my betta is getting fed enough?

Thanks
bvellalos

Re: Mollies and Male Betta

Postby admin » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:12 am

Hi!

You can tell your betta is stressed out by his behavior. Bettas should be relatively active. They should come to the surface during feeding time and they should be exploring their environments. If you see these behaviors decrease, the mollies may be stressing him. Also keep an eye on his color. Stressed bettas' colors will begin to become more dull.

Mollies are not always an ideal choice for a betta tankmake. Sometimes they do perfectly well together, sometimes not. Molllies can sometimes be tail nippers or grow too big for bettas. Make sure you keep a close eye on your aquarium to ensure all are happy and healthy:)

Adam
admin
Site Admin

Return to Your Betta's Tank Mates