Betta Fish Center

Bored Betta Fish?

If you can't find a category for your question or comment, please post it here.

Moderator: BettaDiver

Bored Betta Fish?

Postby Christang » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:56 pm

Hi!

Is it possible that my betta is bored? I have him in a 3 gallon tank with a cave and a couple of plants. He is completely healthy and eats great but, I have heard that bettas are intelligent. Does he need stimilation?
Christang

Re: Bored Betta Fish?

Postby ImATripp » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:27 am

Hi. I'm not sure if bettas get bored or not, but I know they sure enjoy interaction. I have a female in a 2 1/2 gallon tank on the kitchen counter, and she gets all excited when we're in there cooking or packing snacks, etc. She seems to like it if you "pinch" your fingers at her like your going to "get" her.

I have a male in a 5 gallon tank in the living room next to my chair. I play with him while sitting, and he can see us walking around, etc. He also likes to chase my granddaughter back and forth from one side of the table to another. They are really like dogs with fins :)
ImATripp

Postby admin » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:41 am

ImATripp wrote: They are really like dogs with fins :)

That is hilarious!

Bettas really are like dogs with fins! They do enjoy stimulation and investigating their surroundings. You can give him stimulation by placing a mirror near his tank for a short period of time, giving him something new in his tank to investigate or offering him a different kind of food.

Adam
admin
Site Admin

Postby ozlady56 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:44 am

I got my Betta a plastic ball with a mirror attached to it, I put it in his tank twice a day for about 5 mins. I call this his "play time", he flares and looks beautiful, so fun to watch him get excited, his gills really flare!
ozlady56

Return to All Things Betta