Discussions on tank types, sizes and brands to house your betta

Moderator: BettaDiver

Re: How big should the tank be?

Postby Marcus » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:15 pm

I keep them in 5 gal too :)
Marcus

Postby lissienen » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:38 pm

People have a lot of opinions on this and I think that it really comes down to the keeper. And by the keeper, I mean the person who is taking care of the betta and how much care you're going to give. You can keep a betta comfortably in a one gallon tank... if you keep it heated and if you do at least a partial water change every day so that the little guy isn't swimming around in messy water, because to me that's like keeping a cat or dog permanently in a kennel without changing the litter every day.

I think that 2.5 is the smallest size you can really do for anything but a hospital/quarantine tank, though I'm more comfortable with 5 and larger. One time I heard someone try to say that there was such a thing as a tank being too large for a betta, but that I believe to be misinformation. Long and shallow tanks are amazing things for them, yes, but mine always seem to get a nice thrill out of swimming around in the bigger tank than they ever had the smaller ones.
lissienen

Postby Bettahelper123 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:54 am

The minimum is 2.5 gallons, but then again the bigger the tank the better. I have mine in a 10 gallon. Plenty of space to swim. Just please don't put the betta in a bowl. Alot of people do this.
Bettahelper123

Postby Holly Christine » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:03 pm

My male betta lives in a 1.5 gallon fish bowl with a LED light and he has small decorations in his home and he is doing great!. He still has plenty of room to move around in bettas really do not like being in a large tank.
Holly Christine

Previous

Return to Tank Types