Betta Fish Center

How big of a tank do I need?

Discussions on all topics related to betta breeding, preparation, after care of the fry and other similar topics.

Moderator: BettaDiver

Re: How big of a tank do I need?

Postby JayM » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:35 pm

Hi BL
We did our first spawn in March. I think our breeding tank is 35L. We didn't know how big the spawn would be & wanted to disturb them with moving as much as possible. HTH.
JayM
JayM

Postby ghostfeather » Mon May 20, 2013 12:09 pm

You only need a 10 Gallon for breeding,a 29 for growing them out.
To big of a tank and they will lose interest in each other.
Only fill the 10 G with about 4 inches of water for the breeding.
If you want to know more specifics,just ask.
I have been breeding Show Bettas for about 3 years,and am a member of the IBC.
In the past I have breed Killies,Angels,and am presently breeding Wild Bettas,and Dwarf Chiclids.
We have a group in Pa. that is geared to Bettas,our FaceBook page is:
Pennsylvania Betta Association,come check us out!
Bill
ghostfeather

Postby admin » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:20 pm

Hi!

How is it going with breeding your Bettas? I agree with the 10 gallon tank suggestion:) Although, I have also had success with a 5 gallon spawning tank. Let us know what you decided on.

Adam
admin
Site Admin

Postby Mohamad » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:20 pm

When we talk about the proper size of betta spawning tank,the answer is very subjective depend on individual.This is not the answer.just my experience with my wild caught betta imbellis.I did many succesfull spawning in just a small jar filled with 0.5litre of water.Actually I never intend to breed them,I just dump male and female then they mating.That was natural.
Perhaps the most interesting story....1 day I went to nearby pond and caught a pair of adult betta imbellis and put just in small plastic bag.Then you bring it home,travel time around 45minutes.When I reach at home I saw that this couple of betta already have their bublenest with hundred of eggs.What's amazing...no wonder..it naturally.
Mohamad

Postby admin » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:33 pm

That is amazing, Mohamad! What a funny story:)

Adam
admin
Site Admin

Postby Mohamad » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:08 pm

Yes..funny and trully happen.My friend also told the same story.We just ignore this spawning.In the next catch I had never put them together again.Haha!!
Back to the question,I normally use a bucket or aquarium that can fill about 5 litres of water.Becaue more water mean less water foul.Then the survival rate will be increase.
Mohamad

Return to Betta Breeding