Betta Fish Center

Siphoning is impossible for me!!!! :(

This forum is for any topics that fall outside of the forum categories.

Moderator: BettaDiver

Siphoning is impossible for me!!!! :(

Postby SammyL » Wed May 15, 2013 12:21 pm

For the life of me I can't figure out how to do this siphoning stuff!!! I really need help here because apparently its really dangerous if I don't and I just don't get it!! Ughhhhh
SammyL

Re: Siphoning is impossible for me!!!! :(

Postby WutTheBetta » Mon May 20, 2013 6:21 pm

Ok I'm going to break this down in steps....

1. Fill the hose completely with water. Keep the ends of the hose upward to prevent the water from draining back out.

2. Place one hand over each end of the hose and turn it upside down. Place one end of the hose into the contained area you want to drain.

3. Aim the other end of the hose to your draining location. This may be a bucket, floor drain or other acceptable destination.

4. Remove your hands from both ends of the hose at the same time. Water should begin flowing out of the end of the hose that is not submerged.

Hope that helps!
WutTheBetta

Postby tomahto » Wed May 29, 2013 1:19 pm

1. put a bucket on the floor near the aquarium
2. put the large end of the siphon in the aquarium
3. put the small end in your mouth and suck the water up like a straw
4. when the water is about to reach your mouth, drop the small end in the bucket. the water should flow automatically now.
5. move the big end of the siphon around the tank to suck up dirt and debris. use the end to scoot around the rocks and gravel and get the dirt underneath them.
6. when your bucket is full or you have removed the amount of water you want to remove (ie. 25%) pick up the large end of the siphon out of the tank to stop the flow.

here's a video I found on youtube that's pretty good:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH3VhoHlqkc
tomahto

Postby BettaMomNancy » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:13 am

Siphoning was not the ideal solution for me. After moving my fish to their temporary containers, I empty the tank by dunking a special container saved for the purpose and removing water into a bucket saved for dirty tank water and cleaning the stones from the bottom of the tank. To clean the stones, I put the bucket under running water in the bathtub and stir the stones until the water in the bucket is totally clear. Then I scrub the acrylic tank (I've had it six months now and there are no scratches so the system I'm using appears to be working okay) before replacing the stones and adding the fresh water I've treated with Prime and allowed to sit until it was room temperature. Finally I add the plastic plants, my Betta's beloved plastic leaf, and the fake dead log, which my Zebra Danios enjoy. The plastic plants were for sale in the section of items specifically for Bettas and I checked them to make certain they were soft rather than something that could cut Bruce's beautiful Half Moon fins.
BettaMomNancy

Postby admin » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:58 pm

How is it going with the siphoning? We would love to hear an update:)

Adam
admin
Site Admin

Postby ctgreeneyes78 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:35 am

I never siphoned & all our fish are healthy. Every week we do a partial tank change. But about every other week the fish goes in the cup it came in w/ some of the old water that has good bacteria in it. Then we (I say we because me or my 11 yr old does the tank changes) empty out the tanks completely & rinse it out well, then dry it w/ a paper towel. The substrate goes in a strainer & gets rinsed along w/ the fake plants. Then the tank is reassembled & the fish goes back in w/ the water that was in the cup to give the new water the good bacteria that is needed.
ctgreeneyes78

Postby Samantha » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:33 pm

I use this method, once or twice a month, I drain into a bucket half of only the top half of the water,it is saved as it will go back into the tank along with my Betta. The rest of the water goes down the drain,I clean all decorations and only use live,silk or foam decorations. Once cleaned in hot, hot water (no soap) it goes back into the tank along with the saved top half of the water. The rest is aged water 48 hrs. Or longer and that is treated with conditioner and salt. Now for the in between times....every other day I made a siphoning hose that works for me here's how is goes....I took a filter tube, and made it long enough to siphon into the sink. Then I got 2 straws put them on both ends, making sure a little tube sticks out. This is so the tube doesn't curl when I'm siphoning, my sub straight is white sand, so I can find the waste easily and I pull all of it from the tank! It's doesn't stir up all that icky stuff into the water and the smaller tube doesn't drain all the water out before you're done. Note...when putting water in....the bucket or whatever you use should be put above the tank.....when siphoning out water, the bucket should sit next to the tank, or below it. This works for all size tanks, but is best for 5gal. Or smaller! And medical tanks.
Samantha

Postby jenilyn » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:30 pm

I use a turkey baster to suck up anything that needs to come off the bottom of my betta tanks. It works well for me! Otherwise, I just scoop water from the top with a small glass when I do my weekly water changes. My tanks are all planted though, so the plants use up some of the fish waste.
jenilyn

Return to General Aquarium/Tank Topics