Betta Fish Center

Cooling the temperature

Discussions on water temperature, pH and other levels as well as any topics involving the water in your aquarium.

Moderator: BettaDiver

Cooling the temperature

Postby bettarookie » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:06 pm

What's the best way to cool the water temperature - and keep it cool? Is there something you can buy for the tank (like you would a heater)?
bettarookie

Re: Cooling the temperature

Postby NeoNebula » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:42 am

I used a timer so it would turn off for a couple hours a day
NeoNebula

Postby justmelsbettas » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:58 am

The timer is a really good idea. When you have live plants a timer is suggested to make sure you have lights on for the right amount of time, but I haven't heard of someone using it for a heater before.
justmelsbettas

Postby Harmony99 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:34 pm

I found a heater with a thermostat. It came in different sizes for different tanks and could be set for whatever temp you needed. I found that setting it at 75 in my tank was perfect since my room stays warm anyway.
Harmony99

Postby Mistygrayc » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:27 pm

Harmony99 wrote:I found a heater with a thermostat. It came in different sizes for different tanks and could be set for whatever temp you needed. I found that setting it at 75 in my tank was perfect since my room stays warm anyway.

OOhh! Where did you find your heater with a thermostat? Would you please share?
Mistygrayc

Postby admin » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:10 am

Hi!

What size tank do you have? I have used this heater in my 5 gallon tanks and I find it does the job well. It is nothing fancy; no timer but, does its job for a small tank. http://astore.amazon.com/1stonlinepers-bfcstore-20/detail/B006JVQ67K

Check your tank size in reference to your heater. Maybe your heater is too powerful for your tank???

Adam
admin
Site Admin

Postby Sivan » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:22 pm

I agree with purchasing a heater with a thermostat. I use the Elite brand, personally, but there are some days when the heater remains off but the summer heat still proves too much for my poor little boy's needs. I have a few methods of (trying) to control too-high temperatures.

1. Fish Ice: I have an ice tray that use to freeze special, Prime-treated, ice cubes. I use the regular water from the tap, add a drop of Prime, then freeze the water. I add a few at a time, slowly, throughout the day. This way, the water temperature does not drop too dramatically and stress my boy's system out. While it is important to maintain a proper temperature, it is also important to maintain a steady temperature. Too strong of a fluctuation can stress and even shock your fish. Sometimes I place the ice cubes in a floating cup into the water and sometimes I add them directly into the water itself. I prefer the cup method because it will bring the temperature down at a rate I prefer and last a bit longer.

2. Natural lighting: No electric lights during the hottest days. Window light will be more than enough, even artificial human-purpose room lights are fine. A little burning light bulb above the fish's head will only add heat,even if a single degree, and will contribute to the heating problem.

3. Blanket time: If the tank is in a particularly sunny spot, throwing thin blankets over the tank can help provide shade and maintain temperature. A tank should not be in direct sunlight anyway but it is is in a place where sunlight can effect it, I would recommend trying this.

It can be hard to regulate heat in the summer time but keep trying, get creative, and keep an eye on that thermometer!
Sivan

Postby Bettahelper123 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:51 am

It all depends on your room temperature. My tank is acclimated to the room temperature, so when the the room is cold the tank is at 78 degrees, well atleast mine is. other than that either buy a mini fan that will cool of the tank or buy a chiller which is expensive
Bettahelper123

Return to Water Conditions