Betta Fish Center

water changes

Discussions on water temperature, pH and other levels as well as any topics involving the water in your aquarium.

Moderator: BettaDiver

water changes

Postby Carol » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:01 am

How many weekly water changes should I do for a 2 gallon tank? Also, do I take the fish out of the tank for this or just leave him in there. Sorry 4 all the dumb questions. :oops:
Carol

Re: water changes

Postby admin » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:20 am

Hi!

I assume you are not going to be using a filter on your tank so you should change your betta's water every 5 to 7 days. You can fill a small cup up with the water from your betta's tank and place your betta in it. Fill a bucket with two gallons of water the night before and leave it out so that it can get to be roughly the same temp as the betta tank. Dump the water, rinse the gravel, etc. (remember no soap just hot water).

You can then place the tank accessories and about 2/3 of the new water. Place your betta and the cup of water back into the tank. This mix of old and new water is good for your betta. Then fill the tank with the rest of the water until the tank is full:)

Adam
admin
Site Admin

Postby Carol » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:13 am

I will have a filter. Is once a week enough? Do I replace 25% of the water or more?
Carol

Postby Sivan » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:26 pm

A clean source of water is an assurance of better betta health. However, water changes are dependant on tank size. This next section is a basic guide to the most popular tank sizes used for betta fish. Bigger is always better and means less changes, especially if cycled.

1 gallon: Do a 100% water change every other day. This sized tank cannot establish a water cycle as it is too small.

2 gallons: 50% water changes 2-3 times a week and one 100% water change weekly. Another tank size too small for easy cycling, it is important to maintain regular water changes. Gravel vacuums will make cleaning easier and help maintain better water.

5 gallons: This is the first tank size that can be cycled by beginners and thus is has two different water change schedules. For cycled tanks, perform 50% water changes weekly. For non-cycled tanks perform 50% water changes twice a week and one 100% water change weekly. Non-cycled tanks are much harder to clean and it is recommended that a cycle is established for the this purpose.

10 gallons: For cycled tanks, perform 50% water changes weekly if there is only one betta inhabiting it. If it is a community tank, add another 50% water change to its schedule. For non-cycled tanks 50% water chanes should be performed twice a week and a 100% water change bi-weekly.

20 gallons:
Tanks this size should only be cycled. 50% water changed should occur each week.

There are many other tank sizes but these are some of the most common. For in-between sizes, adjust the schedule to your best judgement. Although these are not absolute, strict, must-have schedules, they are recommended for the best health of betta fish.
Sivan

Postby admin » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:29 pm

That is a great chart to go by for water changes! Thanks, Sivan!

Adam
admin
Site Admin

Postby kim » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:30 pm

i have a 10 gal. cycled . no amo or nit.s an i do 40 % 7 to 8 days .should i do more? an i thought we were not TO RINSE the sub. :?: :?: :?: :shock: i use a vac.
kim

Postby Sivan » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:02 pm

kim wrote:i have a 10 gal. cycled . no amo or nit.s an i do 40 % 7 to 8 days .should i do more? an i thought we were not TO RINSE the sub. :?: :?: :?: :shock: i use a vac.

If you have a cycled aquarium then you should not rinse your gravel because that will destroy the colonies of beneficial bacteria that live there. Vacuuming, however, is perfectly fine. You will not be able to remove all the beneficial bacteria while being able remove excess waste by doing so.
Sivan

Postby Carol » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:16 am

I didn't think you were supposed to do a 100% water change unless there is illness. I have a very good filter in my 2 gallon tank, and I do a 50% water change once a week. I test his water and it is always right on. He built his first HUGE bubble nest last night, so I guess he is happy and healthy without the overkill!
Carol

Postby Sivan » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:01 pm

Carol wrote:I didn't think you were supposed to do a 100% water change unless there is illness. I have a very good filter in my 2 gallon tank, and I do a 50% water change once a week. I test his water and it is always right on. He built his first HUGE bubble nest last night, so I guess he is happy and healthy without the overkill!

You do not need to do a 100% water change if you have a cycled tank, unless there is an illness in the water. This is correct. However, those who do not have cycled tanks need to do 100% water changes in order to remove ammonia, since no amount is a safe amount when present in water.
Sivan

Postby RallyBetta » Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:08 pm

Carol wrote:I didn't think you were supposed to do a 100% water change unless there is illness. I have a very good filter in my 2 gallon tank, and I do a 50% water change once a week. I test his water and it is always right on. He built his first HUGE bubble nest last night, so I guess he is happy and healthy without the overkill!

What filter do you have?
RallyBetta

Return to Water Conditions