Betta Fish Center

Dropsy : should I try again to cure it or no?

Discussions related to your betta's symptoms, recommended treatments and courses of action to help your betta regain health. Topics also cover betta disease prevention.

Moderator: BettaDiver

Dropsy : should I try again to cure it or no?

Postby Insolent-Devil » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:42 pm

My betta Samuel has developed dropsy. A month ago my betta Princess died from it, they shared a divided tank. After this long I thought he was in the clear and didnt catch anything but yesterday he had scales raised all around his caudal peduncle. Yesterday he was acting the same and now today he is acting worse pouting in the back near the bottom when usally he stays up front and dances around up top. Princess did not live and I did everything I could but I do not have access to the meds I need because my mom says "it's just a fish" and will not alow me to. The thing is Princess acted normal for a week when she pineconed but after two days Sam is already pouting. Should I just end it hear? I have clove oil, I don't want him to go out how she did she was the strongest fish and in the end she was so pitiful I could barely look at her.
Insolent-Devil

Re: Dropsy : should I try again to cure it or no?

Postby Merleism » Tue May 26, 2015 6:47 am

Sorry to hear about Samuel. Any updates on him? I would still try to at least make him feel better if i'm in your situation. I read one owner used sea salt (1pinch a day) and changed his water 10-15% a week for about 3 weeks and the betta is on the way to recovery.
Merleism

Postby AmiableDwarf » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:01 pm

I had a similar situation. I had two male bettas in a divided tank. When I noticed one was pineconing, I was worried about the other. We did everything we could, but eventually the first one died. The second one showed symptoms, but I was able to get him healthy enough to stop the pineconing. But for whatever reason, bad water chemical balance or whatever, he eventually started pineconing within two months later and eventually died. If you're as attached to your betta as I was to mine, I'd say to try and save him. But if you want to save yourself the heartbreak of trying and failing to recover him, perhaps it's the most humane to simply put him out of his misery.
AmiableDwarf

Postby Willow » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:58 am

I lost my first betta to dropsy. I would defindently try to save Samuel. Maracyn 1 and Maracyn 2 are medications to treat dropsy with, and Kanaplex also works well, but is hard on the betta fish.
Willow

Dropsy should I try again to cure it or no

Postby Ezirohnic44 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:01 am

If you cant find any that will open Lu, I have some close up shots in some of my books. Ill see if I can scan one and get it posted for you.

Do you suspect one of your fish has it?
Ezirohnic44

Return to Betta Diseases, Illnesses, Prevention and Treatment