Betta Fish Center

We need help for a really bad case of fin rot

Discussions related to your betta's symptoms, recommended treatments and courses of action to help your betta regain health. Topics also cover betta disease prevention.

Moderator: BettaDiver

Postby Tottersmom » Sun May 17, 2015 8:08 am

My betta has been battling fin rot for several weeks - I've been changing water every few days, keeping it at about 26C. I'd been using nitrofurantoin with success, and once all the fin grew back, discontinued that but kept up with the salt and frequent water changes (pH balanced, conditioned and temp. controlled).
Soon after discontinuing antibiotic, the rot started again. Today, a goodly sized piece of fin fell off. I have never had this problem with any fish before and at this point, don't know what else to do. I don't want the little guy to suffer and am afraid that's what is happening, especially with this fin coming off.
Mr. Fishie needs help:( I am extra worried because we are leaving for vacation in a few weeks. I'd be comfortable with my neighbor coming in and changing the water and feeding, but not with all the medical stuff tht may need to be done.
Can somebody please help us???
Tottersmom

Re: We need help for a really bad case of fin rot

Postby Merleism » Thu May 28, 2015 8:38 am

How is your betta doing? Maybe you can instruct your neighbor on how to administer the antibiotic along with changing the water. Leave a written instruction that he can follow.
Merleism

Postby Ezirohnic44 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:56 am

still battling the fin rot. His fins are quite short now. I think we are on our last ditch effort. Today I rescaped the tank entirely scrubbing all I can and completely changing the gravel in case there is something that bacteria is clinging to. At this point, it might be too late but I hope not.
Ezirohnic44

Return to Betta Diseases, Illnesses, Prevention and Treatment