Betta Fish Center

Constipation? Dropsy?

Discussions related to your betta's symptoms, recommended treatments and courses of action to help your betta regain health. Topics also cover betta disease prevention.

Moderator: BettaDiver

Constipation? Dropsy?

Postby Miss Janis » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:18 pm

Hello. Im trying to get help for my sick betta Marcel. One week ago today we noticed he has a big lump on his side. I have been treating him for constipation all week. Fasting, peas, epsom salt. He acts normal and hungry. I put him in a sick tank and he even makes bubbles. Hes not lethargic or anything. I was reading about dropsy and got worried. Should I give him an anti biotic also? Hes a good fish and we dont want to lose him. We fed him 3 pellets twice a day. Sometimes we fed him further apart than others which I think may have caused constipation. His regular home is a 5 gallon tank with heater and filteration. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Not sure how to add pics on here.
Miss Janis

Re: Constipation? Dropsy?

Postby Bobbin » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:31 am

Try Putting an Indian almond leaf in his tank they are amazing, they have healing properties as well as other benefits the only down side is they do make the water look abit dirty but as I say they are amazing. Best thing I can suggest if your concerned about antibiotics : )
Bobbin

Postby Shanny » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:12 pm

Hi. Sorry to hear he is sick.

Dropsy presents more like "Pineconing" of the scales (looks like a pinecone from the top) than a lump on the side. Where abouts is the lump and how big is it? It might be more of a tumor than a diesese.
Shanny

Postby admin » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:01 pm

Hi!

How is Marcel? Did his lump go away or worsen?

Adam
admin
Site Admin

Postby Samantha » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:28 pm

After the pea,do you resume regular feeding?
Samantha

Postby CJ Nana4 » Tue May 05, 2015 2:05 pm

I give one pellet in the afternoon after a morning pea. Next day I resume light feeding if he doesn't look bloated.
CJ Nana4

Constipation Dropsy

Postby TroyaSew » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:40 am

So I posted about my betta awhile ago, and I didn't really get any useful information back...I had no idea what was wrong with him other than fin rot. I didn't think the white crust on his fin was columnaris because it wasn't fuzzy. It didn't look like the pictures. I treated him for fungus, ran through a slew of antibiotics, salt treatments, melafix....the usual. Now he's got dropsy....I thought it was constipation as he's not pooping that I can tell. He's bloated with bulgy eyes. Ugh I decided just to give him clean water, and see where that took us, and I went to camp for a weekend, and I come back, and he's got a ball of "mold" growing on his fin. I know it's columnaris because the white crust never went away. He got a hole where it was growing, and finally his fin split. For tonight I've got him in a tsp/gallon of aq salt, half tsp of epsom for the dropsy, and a dose of kanaplex which may or may not help with the damn columnaris since I've put him through two rounds of it already in my treatments. I'm hoping these things will help keep him comfortable, and control the spread for the night.

He's in a five gallon, temp 78, I change his water every day. My tap water is hard, and it's 8.0 ph. zero nitrite/nitrates/ammonia....he doesn't really get a chance to build anything up because I change his water every day. He's still eating, he's not pineconed yet, and he's still swimming around. Only difference in his behavior is that he's not as interactive as he was when I left him friday, and he's very obviously uncomfortable as he's wiggling around a lot when he swims. I'm hoping for suggestions on medications/dosages because now that I know what it is, I can treat it properly. He seems more comfortable in the salt bath than he was before it. Please help me help my poor Zucco
TroyaSew

Return to Betta Diseases, Illnesses, Prevention and Treatment