Betta Fish Center

New betta refuses to eat :(

Topics that discuss how and when your bettas eat and what types of food they like or dislike. Any discussions related to betta feeding can be posted here.

Moderator: BettaDiver

New betta refuses to eat :(

Postby nishantm.87 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:25 pm

Hello frnds,

I bought a new betta 3 days back and gave it little pellet food ment for normal fish, but it refused to eat, day before yesterday I decorated the tank with some gravel and live plants and got some special betta food available at the local pet store, the pellets are black in colour, but my betta refuses to eat that either, its been 3 days today, and he seems to fine as the has no discoloration or any fungus on him.. he just puts the pellet in his mouth and then throws it out again.. :( Please help, i am worried..

thanks in advance.

regards,

Nishant.
nishantm.87

Re: New betta refuses to eat :(

Postby cassie502143 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:06 pm

The pellets may be too hard for him to chew.I've had the same problem,try buying betta flake food.
cassie502143

Postby admin » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:14 pm

I agree, depending on his size, flakes might be better. Check out his section of Betta Fish Center all about Feeding your Betta:) http://www.bettafishcenter.com/betta-feeding-list.shtml

Admin
admin
Site Admin

Postby Sivan » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:38 pm

Hello,

I would not worry about a new fish's lack of eating. Often, new Betta fish are stressed from being moved from one environment to another. It is common for Betta fish to not eat up to a week after purchase! The most important thing to do right now is making sure your new friend's living environment is meeting his needs. Make sure to remove any uneaten food and keep up the water changes. Maintaining a steady water temperature in the 78 - 82 degree (F) zone will also help him out.

Keep an eye out for signs of illness. Sometimes is it hard to spot because illness is not always visible. More than likely, his ailment is stress. Again, this is something normal for most new Betta fish to experience. By providing him hiding place, his stress may come down. Keep an eye on your new friend and remember that he will eat when he is hungry enough!

Pellets are the ideal food because they are less messy than flakes but sometimes fish can be picky. Rumor has it that soaking the pellet in garlic juice will stimulate appetite. Try it out and update us if he does not appear to gain interest in his food soon.
Sivan

Postby lissienen » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:38 pm

I agree with what Sivan said, new betta's can be like that for the first few days. If soaking the pellets doesn't appear to work that might be when you have a problem.

I did have a female once that went through this and the soaking trick didn't work; what I ended up needing to do was feed her frozen bloodworms for a few days until she warmed up to her new home and me. Then she took the pellets and was more than happy with them. She just needed a bit of time.
lissienen

Postby 19meyek » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:50 am

My betta is the same way, I have tried flakes and pellets but he spits all of them out. I don't know what to do!
19meyek

Return to Betta Feeding and Behavior