Betta Fish Center

How do you keep the water still with a filter?

Discussions on water temperature, pH and other levels as well as any topics involving the water in your aquarium.

Moderator: BettaDiver

How do you keep the water still with a filter?

Postby LillyLove » Wed May 15, 2013 12:04 pm

I'm finding that my filter keeps moving the water, and my little betta loves still waters. How do I fix this problem? Thanks! Lilly :D
LillyLove

Re: How do you keep the water still with a filter?

Postby Shanny » Mon May 20, 2013 11:18 am

What type of filter do you have?
Shanny

Postby AaronKR » Mon May 20, 2013 6:04 pm

Was going to as the same question. All depends on the type of filter you have.
AaronKR

Postby Harmony99 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:36 pm

Depending on the type of filter you have you could borrow my idea. My filter did the same thing. Moved the water too fast for betta's comfort. I took a paperclip and managed to clamp down on the air hose (outside of the tank) and that slowed the flow. Still moved the water but not to the fish's discomfort.
Harmony99

Postby justmelsbettas » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:23 am

There are a few tricks, like the one already suggested, that will work, but have you considered just removing it? If it's community tank you probably don't want to, but a betta does not need the filter, so if it becomes to much a hassle you can just take it out. What size tank & what kind of filter do you have?
justmelsbettas

Postby admin » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:32 pm

admin
Site Admin

Postby mirage23 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:29 pm

Wait...So what kind of filter do you guys recommend?
mirage23

Postby Sivan » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:13 pm

Because Betta splendens are bubblenesters that prefer little to no current in their waters, finding a filter can be hard. Many popular filters produce a water surface much like the one you are describing. Depending on what type of filter you have (sponge, hang-on-back, under gravel, internal, etc.) there ways to "baffle" it and create a water output that is beneficial for your fish's preferences.

I would recommend using a sponge filter, which have a softer output and are easier to manage bioloads. I personally use a Tom Mini Filter. It has an adjustable water output range and a spray bar. The filter works wonderfully and the output is gentle enough for my male veiltail to play in.

If you do not have a sponge filter and do not want to buy a new filter, there are a handful of guides for baffling your own filter. The website Nippyfish.net, for example, has a good example of how to reduce water current output on its website. I have also seen online tutorials that involve plastic bottles as bafflers, sponges as bafflers, and so forth. It really depend son the type of filter you have.
Sivan

Postby lissienen » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:40 am

My first attempt at a baffle involved a plastic cup - but one of my first veiltails, Ruby, got inside of it and played in the filter (he was fine, just a little beat up). So I moved onto the panythose liner. Cut off the end up of and wriggled it up over the top of the filter (for me it works for power filters really well) and it does a pretty good job of cutting down on the flow. Doesn't cut it off anywhere near completely, there's still a flow left, but my girls can swim right up to it and play around the thing - which they love to do.
lissienen

Postby whiskandbowl » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:49 am

A piece of plastic water bottle works great to block a lot of the flow! I have also heard of banding a piece of filter sponge to the filter output, and I imagine it would also work quite well
whiskandbowl

Next

Return to Water Conditions