Betta Fish Center

new tank

Discussions on water temperature, pH and other levels as well as any topics involving the water in your aquarium.

Moderator: BettaDiver

new tank

Postby Carol » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:07 am

I will be setting up my fisrt betta tank as soon as it arrives, and I'm a bit confused about the water. Most people suggest tap water treated with water conditioner (drops), but I have a water softener in my home. Can I use this tap water? I can shut off the softener and run the water, but there may still be trace elements of salt in the pipes. We also have and under the sink filter. I thought maybe I could buy bottled water (not distilled) and just add the drops to the gallon jugs to remove the chlorine. My concern with this method is the temp. change when I do water changes, since I will have a heater in the tank and the bottled water will be room temp. I will be using a 2 gallon Fluval Spec aquarium. Sorry if this sounds confusing, I just want to get the conditions right for my Betta.
Carol

Re: new tank

Postby admin » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:53 pm

HI Carol!

If you are concerned with your tap water, you can use bottled spring water. Not distilled water. A little bit of a de-chlorinator is not going to hurt.

If you are going to be using a 2 gallon tank, you are going to need to do water changes more often. You can wait until the water gets up to the right temp before you add your fish back in.

Adam
admin
Site Admin

Return to Water Conditions