Betta Fish Center

good tank mates?

What fish live peaceably with your betta? Which ones should you avoid? This forum is for topics related to the fish that can inhabit the tank with your betta and those that will cause a problem.

Moderator: BettaDiver

Re: good tank mates?

Postby lissienen » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:00 pm

It really depends on a lot of things: size of the tank, personality of your betta and the other fish that you're going to be adding...

Gourami's are a huge hit and a miss. Sometimes it can work amazingly well, but more often than not it's going to turn out to be a disaster because they are both from the same family, both tend to show aggression, breathe at the surface... and it will end badly for the betta, or even the gourami and one of them will die from the stress or from being torn apart. Like I said, it can work and I've known people who have had it work, but most of the time it won't. Fancy guppies and other fish with brightly colored tails are also more often going to be a "no" because of the tails, they see that tail and they're going to go for that fish, and they'll be big enough to take out the fish. Guppies can also be fin nippers so if they're in a school they can harass the betta, stress it out... etc. Other semi-aggressive fish such as tiger barbs, "sharks" (bala's, rainbow sharks), etc. should likely be avoided or watched really, really closely even in a sorority setting to ensure they're not stressing out the betta, nipping at the fins or anything like that.

Snails are good algae cleaners for smaller tanks if you can't have a pleco. Nerites tend to be good, or apple/mystery snails, and most betta's will be curious about them, but even if they poke the snail they're unlikely to cause damage (though sometimes they might nip off the atennae). School's of tetra's can do well, or white cloud minnows if the water temperature is kept at the lower end of the betta's preferred spectrum since those minnows prefer the 70's. In the right-sized tank then the cory cat's are great to clean up leftover food (thought betta's, pigs that they are!, don't leave much of that), but it does have to be a good size since the cories like to be in schools... I'm a personal fan of the juli cories. Pleco's do really well overall for algae cleaning, and I like the bristlenose variety since they stay nice and small. Your betta might follow it around for the first few days, but pleco's seem to ignore them or swim off, and mine has done very well with my girls. Ghost shrimp can also do well... but you might not want to get too attached since betta's (like a lot of fish) will probably pick at and eat them every now and then >>
lissienen

Postby Bettahelper123 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:58 am

Good tankmates are fish that do not look super colorful, having long flowing fins, and that don't resemble a betta, like a paradise fish. Just remember it all depends on your betta behavior and personality. :D
Bettahelper123

Postby JayM » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:45 am

We have Robin, our crowntail in with lemon & neon tetras plus 2 peppermints.
Batman is on his own.
Sparrow, Jonesy, Berri, Cherri, Miss Piggy & Runt (Robin & Ariels offsprine) are in with a peppermint & 1 common. Babies have been together since birth & no problems yet. They're almost 4months old & we can only tell that 2 are definately males. :lol: Still deciding on the others.
JayM
JayM

Postby kim » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:14 pm

i think i have a gentile guy but he loves his cories little pandas . they are quick but i think grasshopper is quicker an he chases but Never atackes. an they realy help keep the tank cleaner!! :|
kim

Postby jumpergirl117 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:27 am

I had a common pleco in the tank with my betta. At first there was an battle to assume who was top dog but after the first confrontation they were fine. Plecos have tough skin so the betta won't hurt him but like other people have said it depends on your betta another problem was how big he got. He ended up outgrowing the tank and most people won't stick a betta in a 30+ gallon tank since they are so hard to match with tank mates.
jumpergirl117

Postby mcox » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:46 pm

I have recently added a scum sucker (I don't know if that is a scientific name but that is what I have always called them) to my tank and my betta (zretta) gets along perfectly fine with it
mcox

Previous

Return to Your Betta's Tank Mates